Cleveland DIY Collective
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cleveland DIY Collective

Dedicated to helping promote, organize and support DIY music in North East Ohio.Dedicated to making this community as inclusive as humanly possible.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cleveland Indians thread

Go down 
+7
x96_Quite_ Bitter_Beings
gilliam
cup
kevinczap
brett!
beatonthebrat
Babs
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Babs

Babs

Cleveland Indians thread Empty
PostSubject: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm

Mainly making this because Wahoos On First paid Trevor Bauer to write another rap song.

I really like this team and even if the bullpen is falling apart I still think they're a fringe wildcard contender. They're playing mostly good ball this year so if you haven't been to a game you should probably do that. It's cheap. The beer is relatively cheap.
Back to top Go down
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:03 pm

keep jocks out of punk
Back to top Go down
brett!

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:06 pm

I've been to 11 games so far this year. Im also liking this team a whole bunch, however, I dont know about playoffs yet. I do think that Francona will keep them competitive throughout the season.
Back to top Go down
Babs

Babs

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm

beatonthebrat wrote:
keep jocks out of punk

slugging percentage is good though Sad
Back to top Go down
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:00 pm

sorry i thought this was a punk board
Back to top Go down
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:04 pm

beatonthebrat wrote:
actually no, im not sorry. this is a punk board
Back to top Go down
Babs

Babs

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 6:11 pm

beatonthebrat wrote:
beatonthebrat wrote:
actually no, im not sorry. this is a punk board

Cleveland Indians thread Tumblr_m2uvms8urx1qcqadpo1_r1_500

At Fest in 2011 during RVIVR's set Matt Canino went on this whole awesome rant (as RVIVR is prone to do) about how punk needs to be inclusive and it's for the queers and the weirdos and that was fucking fantastic. And then he's like 'YEAH PUNK ISN'T FOR JOCKS' which made me groan pretty hard because the whole idea of making this community a bastion of tolerance and acceptance is a really cool, noble, thing and is one of the reasons I love it so much, but at the same time writing off an entire group of people because of their interests or physical hobbies is just as fucking stupid as writing off a group of people because of their taste in music and political views.

Anyway, this thread is now about the glorious unification of punk rock and sports because it's a beautiful fucking thing.

also

http://media-cache-ec2.pinimg.com/550x/8f/1d/12/8f1d12b6cb05a7238dd664da492eecd7.jpg
Back to top Go down
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 7:13 pm

whatever this is the way i was raised. parents = punks. parents = hated sports. parents = me. me = punk. me= hate sports.
no room for jocks in the punk scene, shits gotta go
what is so cool about watching some dudes in spandex cute matching uniforms throw balls around. get your shit together. its not cool
Back to top Go down
kevinczap

kevinczap

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:14 pm

This is a punk board. Punks are human beings. Human beings like a lot of different things. A large amount of the people I know in this city, mostly the people who opened this board in the first place, really dig sports, particularly baseball.

Feel free to let everyone know that you don't like sports, but try to keep it at that - we don't need anyone policing the scene in this way.

Of course, if you want to present a collection of thoughts detailing your belief that the ideology behind something like baseball is antithetical to something like punk (or the problems presented by a major sports team using racist imagery in their branding), that's another story. At minimum we would all be given a new viewpoint to consider.

All that said, I'm sure I'm not alone in having many fond memories of going to ball games as a kid (Cal Ripken was a straight up hero for a while). Bottom line, this is an inclusive board.

Play ball.
Back to top Go down
http://kevinczap.com
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:09 am

kevinczap wrote:
This is a punk board. Punks are human beings. Human beings like a lot of different things. A large amount of the people I know in this city, mostly the people who opened this board in the first place, really dig sports, particularly baseball.

Feel free to let everyone know that you don't like sports, but try to keep it at that - we don't need anyone policing the scene in this way.

im going to respond to all of these to make it easy for all the jocks out there to read. i know they cant comprehend much more than the "play ball" mentality. obviously a large amount of people in the city like sports, jocks are not the minority. the punk and hardcore scene is. scene separation is the last thing we need but the divide between the average citizen and the outcasts.

kevinczap wrote:
Of course, if you want to present a collection of thoughts detailing your belief that the ideology behind something like baseball is antithetical to something like punk (or the problems presented by a major sports team using racist imagery in their branding), that's another story. At minimum we would all be given a new viewpoint to consider.

im not policing the scene at all. im expressing my views (whether they are in your face or not) and my views tend to agree with pretty much every scene has been run since the beginnings of punk which gave birth to hardcore. im not trying to come off as a dick actually (it might seem like it) but this topic makes me so mad because i debate it with my friends all the time.

kevinczap wrote:
All that said, I'm sure I'm not alone in having many fond memories of going to ball games as a kid (Cal Ripken was a straight up hero for a while). Bottom line, this is an inclusive board.

Play ball.

if you arent so "gung-ho" about baseball why are you coming off so "macho tough guy, im right your wrong" on me? whether we want to face it or not the scene is dying everywhere. in cleveland the scene is near death. show turn outs have been getting worse and worse and to say this is an inclusive board is saying that anyone can come to shows (jock or not) and im usually okay with that. just not with preppy jock assholes who dont understand what its about. if the scene dies, i will gladly go down with it and when it does i would want to go down surrounded by friends and fellow outcasts. not surrounded by social norms and tribal tattoos. im coming off as an asshole right now i know it. i just know it and someone is going to try and call me out but i honestly feel like this.

play punk and hardcore.
dont play ball.
Back to top Go down
Babs

Babs

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:27 am

Quote :
i know they cant comprehend much more than the "play ball" mentality

Holy shit you're a prick.
Back to top Go down
cup

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:31 am

Hey wait-- doesn't the song go "beat on the brat with a baseball bat"? Explain that one, if you're so anti-baseball! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gilliam

gilliam

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:31 am

How about that 7 run inning tonight.
Back to top Go down
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:32 am

Babs wrote:
Quote :

i might have gotten out of hand but i makes me so mad that sports are so respected. like when a band makes a shirt design that is a sports logo rip off it makes me never want to listen to them again.
Back to top Go down
Babs

Babs

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:33 am

gilliam wrote:
How about that 7 run inning tonight.

I was getting a bit uneasy since I think they were getting no-hit until that inning (and Homer Bailey has been pretty good this year). Turned off my phone for a bit and next time I looked I'm like "Oh, guess we got to him, then".

I'm just happy the bullpen doesn't seem to be imploding anymore.

beatonthebrat wrote:

i might have gotten out of hand but i makes me so mad that sports are so respected. like when a band makes a shirt design that is a sports logo rip off it makes me never want to listen to them again.

That's OK. People like other things than you do and that is OK. Try not to reduce them to bullshit stereotypes and we can all probably be pals. The whole 'sports fans are jocks with tribal tattoos' is ignorant shit and so fucking hypocritical in the context of this scene that it makes my head explode that there are people that actually feel that way.
Back to top Go down
gilliam

gilliam

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:46 am

I'm not worried about the bullpen at all. Not a fan of Chris Perez, but Pestano, Smith, and Cody Allen are all incredibly solid. Allen has 35 strikeouts in 25 innings this year....
Back to top Go down
x96_Quite_ Bitter_Beings

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:49 am

Cleveland hardcore and sports (baseball especially) have gone WAY back. Young kids probably wouldn't understand....haha
Back to top Go down
aint_that_the_truthBLAHHH

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:52 am

beatonthebrat wrote:
Babs wrote:
Quote :

yo, i know your probably a young punk and pissed at everything like i used to be. just know your taking it out on the wrong things. use your anger and channel it towards something. not something like baseball..not worth it. for me, i beat the shit out of my drums. blastbeats, grindcore, whatever. gets the job done. hell, if you cant play an instrument, scream thru a fuckin microphone. write a rant for a zine. or just crank your ipod to something rad. (ruiner is a great band for this type of thing, ha.) but dont bash on peoples beliefs.
Back to top Go down
beatonthebrat

beatonthebrat

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 12:58 am

aint_that_the_truthBLAHHH wrote:
beatonthebrat wrote:
Babs wrote:
Quote :

yo, i know your probably a young punk and pissed at everything like i used to be. just know your taking it out on the wrong things. use your anger and channel it towards something. not something like baseball..not worth it. for me, i beat the shit out of my drums. blastbeats, grindcore, whatever. gets the job done. hell, if you cant play an instrument, scream thru a fuckin microphone. write a rant for a zine. or just crank your ipod to something rad. (ruiner is a great band for this type of thing, ha.) but dont bash on peoples beliefs.

i know theres not much but there IS a difference between grind and punk. this should. dont suggest me to go on a rant because i did and you know what happened. i ended up looking like an asshole and there is nothing i can do about that now. i have anger issues but i skateboard which helps and i was in a band( i play bass) but that fell through and im looking to start something up. how old are you maybe even you and i could join forces haha. but yea i didnt know you liked ruiner i used to love that band. you seem cool and we are already on a roll. i think being in a band together could really work out. i will pm you my phone number.
again babs im sorry for ranting and being a dick
Back to top Go down
kevinczap

kevinczap

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 8:00 am

beatonthebrat wrote:

im not policing the scene at all. im expressing my views (whether they are in your face or not) and my views tend to agree with pretty much every scene has been run since the beginnings of punk which gave birth to hardcore. im not trying to come off as a dick actually (it might seem like it) but this topic makes me so mad because i debate it with my friends all the time.

if you arent so "gung-ho" about baseball why are you coming off so "macho tough guy, im right your wrong" on me?

i just know it and someone is going to try and call me out but i honestly feel like this.

Hey, I'm glad to see how this all played out. Impressions of strangers can be hard on a message board, but I think I have a better idea of you now. My initial response was to what seemed like a dickish post putting down people who like baseball. I can see now that this is just something you feel strongly about for more than just "fuck posers" kind of way.

It's funny I came across as "macho tough guy" to you, since that's very much not how I carry myself, and I was trying to make my response come off as the opposite of that. More like "everyone can be right! let's not be macho tough guys!" But again, we don't know each other in real life and the internet.

Anyhow, while my initial message still stands (let the kids have their baseball thread), I apologize for my early mischaracterization of you, dude.
Back to top Go down
http://kevinczap.com
brett!

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 9:15 am

Go Tribe!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

not much of an indians fan. peeps dont care for baseball in akron.. couple high school kids liked the aeros alot. baseballs alright..
Back to top Go down
jvisual

jvisual

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm

OK GUYS. We tried to make this very clear but apparently some of you missed the message. First off, leave your definition of what YOU think punk is elsewhere. Plenty of people have plenty of interests, some you might not share- GET OVER IT. I don't care if you think you're "just expressing your opinion" - if you're starting pointless arguments and shit-talking other peoples interests, there are plenty of places you can go on the internet to do it. This isn't one of them.

We will ban ANYONE who is being unnecessarily combative, argumentative, hostile, whatever. So please knock that shit off, be respectful, or get banned. It's that simple.
Back to top Go down
http://swagultraultra.bandcamp.com
jvisual

jvisual

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 5:22 pm

Having said that, this thread can return to it's initial intent of talking baseball! Not much to contribute myself, as I haven't followed baseball after the heartbreaking late 90's Indians run, but go for it y'all!!!
Back to top Go down
http://swagultraultra.bandcamp.com
Babs

Babs

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread EmptyFri May 31, 2013 5:32 pm

beatonthebrat wrote:

again babs im sorry for ranting and being a dick

It's cool Cool

gilliam wrote:
I'm not worried about the bullpen at all. Not a fan of Chris Perez, but Pestano, Smith, and Cody Allen are all incredibly solid. Allen has 35 strikeouts in 25 innings this year....

I'm not really concerned in the long run but that was a tough stretch. I've never really been a fan of Perez - more of a thrower than a pitcher, has gotten pretty lucky so while his base states will say he is good if you look a bit deeper he isn't really an all-star closer, and while I did defend a lot of the stuff he said the moment he said "I hate Cleveland sports fans" he lost my support as a personality. That said, him puking on the mound ruled. Pestano is a stud - he might still be dealing with injury no matter what the official word is so I can't find myself too concerned about him. Bryan Shaw had a poor outing recently but I think he is legitimate too, he is young and everything he has done until now inspires confidence. Cody Allen and Barnes, especially Allen though, both have the stuff to be closers at the major league level. Matt Albers never puts up numbers that turn heads but he is usable. Rich Hill is a bit of a wild card this year - he strikes batters out but walks too many as well. Not writing him off. I really like this pen. Joe Smith is killing it too.

And we have Matt Capps in the minors, and once he gets healthy there is another ML-level closer (with legitimate closer experience) they'll have. The only weak link right now is Hagadone - the fact that he hasn't put it together by now is troublesome. Dude is already 27.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cleveland Indians thread   Cleveland Indians thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Cleveland Indians thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next